Extend the life of timber!
Timber is a natural product will respond very differently to every environment.
That's why we always recommend giving your product a little extra treatment if you intend on placing your product outside or in an extreme environment.
By the end of this guide you will find caring for timber is really quite simple!
Tips to care for and maintain timber products
- Direct sunlight can tan the colour of the timber, so if you would like to maintain the natural colour you should avoid leaving products in the direct sunlight for a long time and apply a UV timber finish product to protect the product colour.
- Timber has great moisture resisting properties, however, you should take care to not leave it exposed high moisture environments for extended periods.
- Be cautious with the raw timber around spills, do not leave spills sit on the product surface as they may leave a watermark, avoid contact with heat and take care when placing abrasive objects on the timber, if any scratches, nicks or chips appear, gently sand the area with a fine grit sandpaper.
Our recommended finishes for your product
If you would like to add a little more protection or obtain a different look we recommend the following products which are available at your local hardware store:
- Intergrain Exterior UltraClear UV Timber Finish in Satin
Please note, that when you are applying a wax or satin, it will enhance the wood a shade darker. We do not recommend applying a lacquer finish to our products as it will marginally increase the thickness of the wood and therefore may affect how certain elements of the product interact.
Alternatively, you can opt to finish your product in a variety of other ways, these provide a little less protection but offer a different type of aesthetic:
- Whitewashing (diluted white paint), for a faded washed out look
- Coloured timber stains (water based only)
- Linseed oil, for an enriched warmer look
Whatever option you choose, we recommend and encourage the use of natural, or water-based finishes, products that are non-toxic and are free from harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Always check the materials and safety data sheet (MDSD) for detailed information on any hazardous chemicals present.